Pasco Libraries provides training for volunteer tutors and a venue for regularly-scheduled literacy improvement sessions to assist learners 18+ with Adult Basic Education (ABE) Literacy and English as a Second Language (ESL) Literacy.
The adult literacy service also helps to match tutors and learners who can choose to meet one-to-one as their schedules allow.
This service is currently offered at New River Library. Pasco Libraries plan to expand to other branches in the future.
Each week, English language learners can practice literacy skills in a supportive, friendly group setting.
Individualized tutoring helps learners improve speaking, listening, reading, and writing skills to meet their literacy goals.
Make a Difference
19% of Pasco residents are at the lowest level of reading, possibly functionally illiterate, meaning they struggle to read charts, instructions, and basic texts in their environment (Source: PIAAC Map).
BECOME A TUTOR
• Proficient in English language & grammar
• 18 years of age or older
• Dedicated to helping others
• Sensitive to different backgrounds & cultures
• Respectful of confidentiality
• Commit to one year of service
• Participate in a 6-hour training workshop
• Demonstrate computer readiness
• Satisfaction in helping others
• Learn new teaching strategies
• Gain insights into different lifestyles & cultures
• Make new friends
• Have fun
RESOURCES FOR VOLUNTEER TUTORS
• First time users: Find "Non-Members at the bottom of the page and complete the online form.
• Returning users: Find "Already A User: Login Here" at the bottom of the page.